Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 22:40:13 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@pmr.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        hoek@hwcn.org, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Status of USB, TX chipset, PIIX3, etc.

On Fri, Aug 08, 1997 at 11:09:23AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> Tim Vanderhoek writes:
> > On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:
> >
> >> Isn't it comforting to see that even Big Blue wasn't able to continue
> >> ruling the world?
> >
> > Maybe.  If Microsoft was what followed IBM, then I shudder to
> > think of what will follow Microsoft.
>
> Hmmm.  I don't know. IBM was pretty hated in their day.  But I
> understand your concern :-)

What, exactly, did IBM do during those days that made it so hated? You
see, I am a retired IBMer (veteran of 30 years) and probably have a
_very_ different perspective wrt IBM (I still believe that it is a good
company, if sometimes misguided and suffering from its shear size).

OTOH, I find Microsoft most apauling. While with IBM I often heard
horror stories about how impossible it was to deal with Microsoft.
Everything had to be their way or not at all. There was no possibility
of compromise. Of course this is really just hearsay, since I never
worked in an area that had to deal directly with Microsoft (thank God).

--
Bob Willcox	       Deliberation, n.: The act of examining one's bread
bob@luke.pmr.com         to determine which side it is buttered on.