Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 17:27:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN Modems

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Wm Brian McCane wrote:
>
> > Only 7.5kB/sec?  I am now very confused.  I get 6kB/s throughput
> > from my 33.6 most of the time.  Of course I am usually transferring
> > news/mail so they are highly compressible.  Do any of the plug-in
> > cards do LZ compression, or anything similar?
>
> You are comparing apples and oranges.  A 33.6 kbps modem can at best
> transfer 4.2 KB/s raw data (a little less due to the required protocol
> overhead).  The remainder is done by on-the-fly compression.  Use the
> data rate when getting a .tar.gz file as a base for your comparisions.
>
> ISDN itself doesn't provide for on-the-fly compression, so the raw
> data rate is close to 8 KB/s.  The 7.5 KB/s is the common data rate
> for IP traffic.
>
> PPP provides for potential link-level compression.  One of the options
> is ``BSD compression'' which should be close to the typical modem
> compression ratios.
>
> --
> cheers, J"org
>
> joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
> Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

I intentionally compared apples to oranges.  I don't transfer very many
compressed binary files, but I do transfer a LOT of UseNet news and
e-mail.  (Not the binary groups, so don't put uuencode in the
conversation).  I am targetting MY needs.  I have decided on the Pipeline
50's partially because their documentation says that they will compress
data received on the 10BaseT port at rates "up to" 512K/second 8-P.
(Yeah, like I'll believe that when I see it 8).  I have looked at the
iijppp, and the "new" ppp changes to support BSD Comp in Kernel, it looks
nice, but my ISP uses LPM3's and Windows NT, so I don't think it will help.

	brian

He rides a cycle of mighty days, and   \  Wm Brian and Lori McCane
he represents the last great schizm     \  McCane Consulting
among the gods. Evil though he obviously \  root@bmccane.uit.net
is, he is a mighty figure, this father of \  http://bmccane.uit.net/
my spirit, and I respect him as the sons   \  http://bmccane.uit.net/~pictures/
of old did the fathers of their bodies.     \  http://bmccane.uit.net/~bmccane/