Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 00:18:36 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
Cc:        jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Star Office

> >I did a make on this port --- can someone explain what the deal with it is
> >-- I was reading calderas web page, Is this a commercial procduct (or
> >demo) is everything not supposed to work right or what?  How did this get
> >ported to freebsd in the first place -- is there a native port to be done
> >as a commercial product?

Eep.  You show remarkably practiced ignorance and a stunning ability to
ignore documentation my friend.

> Q:  Is this a commercial product?
>
> A:  Yes.  Caldera carries it.

Actually, StarDivision "carries" it, and sells it commercially for a
not inconsiderable number of platforms.  They have an active internal
Linux community that are responsible for the Linux port, which
currently lags their fully commercial release considerably.  It's also
markedly less stable, but improving.

> The literature seems to indicate that StarDivision fully expects
> individuals to take advantage of the unlimited evaluation period for
> it.

Yes.  They are very keen to be taken seriously as a provider of a
multiplatform office suite, and the Linux version seems to be seen as
good publicity.

> Q:  Is there a native port in the works?
>
> A: I heard some rumbling about this as part of a commercial FreeBSD
> offering, but nothing beyond that.

Not to the best of my knowledge.  Conversations with the friendly
people at StarDivision have indicated that they are extremely strained
for resources as things stand, and as such the best goal to aim for is
a Linux version that is compatible with the ABI emulation.  They have
indicated that they're willing to work with us to ensure that this
state of affairs can be maintained.

In reality, their system interface is likely to be fairly conservative,
as their code has to build on a very wide range of platforms.  ie.
unless some functionality is available on Solaris, Irix, Sinix, AIX,
etc. they're not going to stress over it.

> Does anyone know the status of the
> whole commercial FreeBSD offering thing (with XAccel, etc.?)?

There are rumblings, yes.

mike