Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 16:49:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS locking status (rpc.lockd) ?

On Mon, 10 Nov 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Is anyone currently working on getting NFS locking to work?  I just dug
> > through the list archive and it appears, a few months back, at least, that
> > some folks had been thinking seriously about attempting an implementation.
> > Where do we stand now?
>
> Look a bit further back.  I posted kernel patches for the server side
> to the -current list some time ago.  More recently, I posted layering
> changes to support veto-based VOP_ADVLOCK implementation both for FS
> stacking, and to support client-side locking lock proxy to the server.
>
> Both of these were post-Lite2 integration.
>
> I also posted a kernel memory leak detection test environment, and
> a test written to use that environment to monitor namei buf usage
> and return across all system calls that did path lookup (Doug Rabson
> made some NFS changes that conflicted with my namei() layering fixes
> for some VFAT/VFAT32/NTFS support work I was doing, and one or both
> of us together introduced a path name buffer leak; I didn't have the
> ability to do the NFS tests locally, so I released the test environment).
>
> I haven't really been keeping this code fresh (other than the test
> environment which is trivial enough that it won't be impacted by
> anything but a massive change) since it's pretty clear it's not
> going to get committed until either someone who can vet the code
> wraps their brain around the VFS problems I'm trying to solve, or
> until I find the time to educate someone to the same effect (ie:
> wrap their brain around the code for them).
>

> > If anyone _is_ working on this, I'd be glad to be of assistance in testing
> > or whatever.  I have access to FreeBSD, Solaris, and AIX (3.2.5 and 4.1)
> > boxes.
>
> I will look at what it will take to get the patches "fresh" again
> for you (I first did them in June 1995, more than two years ago --
> about when Lite2 was released and a year and a half before it was
> integrated).  There is still some rpc.lockd work that needs to be
> done.  I can describe it, but the problem is the representation
> of the file handle; I don't know what it is, since it doesn't seem
> to match that of the kernel NFS.

I appreciate your reply.  It sounds like there is a good bit left to do...
I'd love to delve into it myself, but I don't really have the skill, or
the time.

It doesn't seem too hopeful to me that individuals with the necessary
skill, free time, and inclination are going to materialize and nail this
problem within then next 4 months or so....  Which means my project either
needs to be based on some other OS or utilize a completely different
architecture...  arrrgghhhh...  :-|

Again, if anyone would like to take this challenge upon themselves (oh
please, oh please!) I will gladly assist with testing or whatever...

Thanks,
---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx