Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 18:25:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Raimondas Baltuskevicius <rayball@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help!

On Wed, 7 Jan 1998, Raimondas Baltuskevicius wrote:

> I have downloaded from Internet (ftp.freeBSD.org) and instaled FreeBSD
> release 2.1.7.1. When I am booting freeBSD from hard disk all booting
> comands passed normally but at the end system hangs and write:
>
> panic: cannot mount root
>
> What I may to do?

1.  Move the hard disk that FreeBSD is installed on to the master position
on your primary IDE controller (or equivalent so it boots properly).

2.  Follow these instructions:

 If you get the message:
panic: Cannot mount root

At the end of the probe sequence you should either:
1. Have the line:
config kernel root on wd2

in your kernel config,
OR:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).