Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 18:15:50 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "ExecPC Internet Mail" <rvh@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp help

> I am trying to configue ppp to work on FreeBSD v2.2.5.
> It dials and logs on to my ISP o.k.  After connecting I get a message
> from my machine that says:
>
> "{date & time}: merc ppp[561]:tun0: Error: Get ConfigReq while state = 4"
>
> my machine name is merc.
> Because I can't connect with my machine I do not have the contents of
> ppp.log
> available to attach.

Hmm, that's not very helpful.

> The output of netstat -rn is:
> Destination		Gateway	Flags		Ref	Use	Net Exp.
> 127.0.0.1		127.0.0.1	UH		1	186	lo0

No routes ?  How are you running ppp ?

> for my ISP, ppp.conf is
> execpc:
> 	set phone "827 6000"
> 	set login "TIMEOUT 10 gin:-BREAK-gin: Prvh word: mercs
> 	set timout 300
> 	deny lqr
> 	set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0
> 	delete ALL
> 	add 0 0 HISADDR

Looks ok.  What about your port and speed etc ?  Have you got a
ppp.linkup file ?  Have you got a dynamic or static IP ?  Have you
set up your nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf ?  Have you read the man
page on how to setup ppp with an ISP ?

> I don't have my machine connected to a network.
>
> any ideas?

Not really without more info.  Check out

  http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/userppp.html

for details of how to post problems (and possible solutions).

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;