Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:50:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Sascha Blank <blank@fox.uni-trier.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What SOHO laserprinters can be used under FreeBSD 2.2.5?

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Sascha Blank wrote:

> for various reasons I have to replace my slow and ancient 24 dot needle
> printer with a more modern 600dpi laser printer. Many of the SOHO laser
> printers I have considered so far exclusively work in conjunction with a
> special DOS, Windows or MacOS driver that preprocesses the page for
> them. This is of course no option for me as the printer is also to run
> under FreeBSD 2.2.5 using the usual GhostScript filter method.

I hate printers like that. :(

> One of the few SOHO printers that does not seem to have this constraint
> (and that I still can afford to buy) is the HP LaserJet 6L. Therefore I
> am interested in experiences users have made with this printer under
> FreeBSD, especially when it comes to using GhostScript with it.

gs 4.03 has a LaserJet 4 driver that should be forwards-compatible to the
6.  It does a PS->PCL conversion I assume and your 6L can certainly talk
PCL.

If you can afford something other than the L, you can buy PostScript
modules for it and have it do the PostScript processing for you.  The P
series is a bit more expensive but is faster and can take PS SIMMs.  We
have a 5P at work and it does just about any paper you can throw at it at
a decent speed and looks good too.