Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:03:24 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk layout concernes (was Re: ATTENTION: Call for opinion re: root device naming change )

At 5:59 PM -0600 3/18/98, Mike Smith wrote:
>> At 4:32 PM -0600 3/18/98, Mike Smith wrote:
>> >The information so far is a good start; it's a disk configured with
>> >'disklabel auto'.
>>
>> As I recall, you had previously mentioned that to be the case which
>> was giving you trouble.
>
>That's correct; it was.

>This left a
>number of people (yourself included) severely inconvenienced, which I
>deeply regret.

My only concern was that it happened in "stable" and I sensed a push to
leave it in when I had not yet seen the fix.

>> >  Now, how about the failure mode?  What version of kern/vfs_conf.c are
>> >you using?
>>
>> Well, it's too late to tell...
>> While I was waiting for your reply, I did another update.
>> kern/vfs_conf.c got changed in the process. I suspect that means that
>> my latest attempt did not have your latest change.
>
>Ah.  Does the new code work?  The change in question was implemented a
>few days ago; I let it sit in -current for a few before that to make
>sure that it wasn't going to burn people again.

Sorry that I missed the message. I would have tried it sooner. (And, as
a result, not complained so much.)

>> >  How old is the bootblock on the disk?
>> How do I easily tell?
>
>You don't, unfortunately.  Updating the bootblock is something you do
>explicitly; normally it's laid down when you label the disk the first
>time and never changed.   In retrospect, if you used 'disklabel auto'
>on the disk in the first place, the bootblock is more than adequately
>new.

That's what I thought. I have only "very new" bootblocks in my system files.
But that doesn't say anything about the last time that I rewrote the
bootblocks. Mine are probably fairly recent because I have a vague
recollection of rewriting just the bootblocks in order to get one of
the newer features in the kernel selection.

>There are some strong arguments in both directions.  If your system(s)
>are working correctly now, there are only a couple of minor issues and
>one remaining plaintiff to resolve before I am happy that we handle
>everything as well now as we ever have.
>
>> I'll let you know just as soon I get a new kernel to try.

Good news. The latest kernel boots just fine.

Now the only "problem" that I see is the "confusion factor"

/kernel: changing root device to sd0s5a

I hope that that can either be fixed or very well documented before the
unknowing masses get hold of it.

It doesn't worry me, on my personal systems.
But I do see it as a Customer Support issue.

Richard Wackerbarth