Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 14:06:38 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, Jeremy Porter <jerry@freeside.fc.net>, Alex Nash <nash@mcs.net>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: problem capturing video with BT848/Hauppauge Win/Tv

Luigi Rizzo:
 |Randall Hopper:
 |> >I suspect this is the "Bt848 driver isn't issuing frame completion
 |> >signals" problem that I'm helping Alex Nash <nash@mcs.net> with now.
 |> >Look in your -multimedia list mail for the thread labeled: "Re: Bt848:
 |> >no IRQ".
 |
 |I have been having the same problem for a long time, both on a
 |P5-133 and on a PPro200. I nailed down the problem to some too
 |restrictive test for errors on the status register of the brooktree
 |when it gets an interrupt.

Hmmm.  Pretty strange.  This appears it might be hardware or
system-configuration related to some extent.

If it's a driver issue, it's likely in hardware-specific portions of the
driver.  I say this because I pulled the latest driver last night and had
no problem with it (except for that 2 second tsleep in open() 8^).  Never
had any problems on any previous version either.

It's unlikely its FreeBSD version-related.  As I recall, you run 2.2.*.
Jeremy's running 2.2.2.  Alex is running 3.0-current.  I'm running
3.0-971208-SNAP, and used to run 2.2.1.  I don't think I've ever seen this
no-signal problem on any driver version on either FreeBSD version, but all
you guys are seeing it now.

Sounds like it might be time to uncomment this printf in the driver:

        /*      printf( " STATUS %x %x %x \n",
                dstatus, bktr_status, bt848->risc_count );
                */

and see what everyone's seeing.

Randall

MY CONFIG:
      ASUS P55T2P4, Hauppauge Wincast/TVdbx (1yr old)
      FreeBSD 3.0-971208-SNAP, non-SMP, Fxtv 0.46, latest driver

      bktr0: <BrookTree 848> rev 0x11 int a irq 9 on pci0.11.0
      Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips NTSC tuner, dbx stereo.