Date:      Wed, 03 Jun 1998 23:06:37 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        connie@primenet.com (connie crowley)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dan.early@mail.sprint.com
Subject:   Re: Installation bug REPLY: dan.early@mail.sprint.com or connie@primenet.com

> >   ----------

This is probably something that should have gone to the -questions
list, simply because -hackers is for development chatter, not
installation issues.  Being the wrong forum, people are generally just
going to ignore you.

> >    This system is a Pentium 166, 32 Meg RAM, BTC IDE 24X CD drive,
> >    Conner 540 (?) Meg IDE with 1048/16/1048/63 geometry. Graphics from
> >    a Trident 512K card. It uses an onboard IDE controller. The
> >    installation described below has also been tried with a second IDE
> >    drive, a Maxtor 200 Meg IDE with the same results. Both of these
> >    drives have previously had Linux loaded without any problem.

It's unlikely that you've had *exactly* the same results, particularly
given the nature of the problem you describe.

> >    Bios is Award P&P v1.0A. It is set to autoconfigure the drive and
> >    recognized the IDE drive as a secondary master at 540 Meg, etc. on
> >    boot. This formats to 515 Meg, I understand because of having
> >    greater than 1024 cylinders. The CD drive is recognized at boot and
> >    the installation boots from the CD without any apparent problem.

FreeBSD does not support booting from a secondary master drive when
there is no primary slave drive without a little help.  This is due to
the odd way that the BIOS disk numbers and BSD unit numbers interfere.

> >    On rebooting the machine, it does a probe to assorted devices,
> >    sends a "panic, can't mount /" message and goes into a reboot
> >    cycle. If I try giving it a specific boot command, such as "boot:
> >    1:wd(2,a)?" or many variations of that, it either says it can't
> >    find it or it returns an "error [memory address]" in an infinite
> >    loop.

1:wd(2,a)kernel should boot correctly in the case where you are
installed on the second drive as described above.  If the error message
you refer to is "Error: D:0x? C:? H:? S:? this reflects an inability to
talk to the BIOS drive that you are requesting (eg. wd(2,a) implies a
third BIOS disk which you don't have).

> >    I have tried variations on this installation numerous times from
> >    the CD and also from a diskette boot image. It always fails the
> >    same way. I gave the CD to a friend here at work, who put it on a
> >    partition on his PC. It installed normally for him.
> >
> >    Any suggestions appreciated. Please reply e-mail to either:
> >    connie@primenet.com or Dan.early@mail.sprint.com.

The simplest answer would be to move your desired installation disk to
the primary bus, thus keeping the BIOS and FreeBSD unit numbers in
sync.