Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 17:59:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        rivers@dignus.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com, sastdr@unx.sas.com
Subject:   Re: Improvemnet of ln(1).

>> I will personally buy a beer (so long as it's not an American beer)
>> for the first five people who can show me current existance of such a
>> script.  (In other words, a script written during or after this
>> discussion doesn't count.)  That said, I sincerely doubt I'll have to
>> buy a single beer.
> I don't know if this counts -

If it's existing code that runs on BSD, whether public or private, it
counts.  I don't want to break anything.

Let me make sure I've got all the details.

> but the source/build management system at SAS would
> break... technically, it's a program that scans the output.  The
> code doesn't employ reasonable return-codes for some ungodly
> reasons, and thus, there are 'scraping scripts' that read through
> several gigs worth out shell/compiler/utility output and "decide" if
> the build was successful.

Ugh.

> Changing the behaviour of ln, as you suggest, would likely break all
> of that 'log scraping' code. [Who knows how many questionable 'ln'
> commands are embedded within this spaghetti.]

By questionable ln commands, you mean ln -s's that link to files that
don't exist at the time of the command is issued?

> Believe me; as I'm the manager of the compiler group; and I am
> expressly prohibited from changing even the smallest typo in a
> compiler message; much less adding a new one - for fear of such a
> calamity.  The argument is that a broken 'script scraper' costs
> several thousands of developers a couple of days while it's
> repaired...  we're talking man-years here of wasted time...  I don't
> buy it myself - but that's the rule I live under.

Okay.  If it is your own belief that adding a new message would break
things, then I'll accept that.  (I just want it to be your own belief,
not something handed down on high that you believe is a product of
FUD.)

If this code does these things, that is: (1) Creates a symbolic link
to a file that doesn't exist at the time, and (2) analyzes the output
of ln's stderr, and (3) would likely break on the addition of a new
line in the input of [2], then please email me with the name of your
favorite beer, and the address of the liquor store where you want to
pick it up.  (Alternatively, if you live in Texas, I may be in your
area soon, and would be happy to buy you the beer in person.)

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan