Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 1998 20:23:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TESTERS WANTED for new ATAPI CD/CDR/CDRW driver.

> I'd be curious to know if anyone's measured the cost of the SCSI<->ATA
> translation for ATA disks, since that's where performance is really an
> issue.  Nobody cares how efficient access to a Zip disk is, but an
> extra 10% overhead on ATA disk transactions would really hurt.
>
> Command passthrough doesn't (can't) work directly, as many fields are
> different sizes.  I think what you mean is that there's no need for any
> intelligence in the translation, which is fair enough.

A question I have is this:

If I'm passing SCSI commands down, is it possible to actually support
multiple outstanding tagged commands?

I know that the EIDE specification allows for this, but I am unaware
of any IDE disk drives that support it.

If I could get multiple outstanding transactions at a cost of 10%
overhead, all I need is two of them and my system is running 80%
faster than it was...

For a single user workstation running a curses program on the console,
this is not a problem.  For any other load, this should generally
be a win, especially if swapping is occurring.

The inability of most IDE hardware to support multiple outstanding
tagged commands is the primary reason I still recommend SCSI to
people who are running light loads and are never going to need
more than one disk and one CDROM (though "never" is a very long
time indeed... for systems with most Intel chipsets, there is a
limit to 2 simultaneous PCI bus masters before the negotiation fails,
meaning I'm limited to 4 IDE devices no matter what).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.