Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:33:33 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ada <ada@noether.lab.usyd.edu.au>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Two Y chromosomes [ Was: Java-based Crypto Decoder Ring ...]

> > Turner's Syndrome (X0) sufferers tend to be short, have webbing on the neck
> > and between the hands, infertile, appear to be female but do not menstruate
> > and have vestigial dysfunctional ovaries.  They also have strangely bent
> > elbows (which bend at a typical angle of 30-40 degrees)
>
> Some of this matches Susanna quite well.  They had the webbing on the
> neck removed at birth (and presumably between the fingers).  I didn't
> examine her ovaries, though I'd heard of problems in that are, but I
> didn't notice anything wrong with her elbows.  I'd been told she was
> XXY, but they definitely mentioned Turner's syndrome.  What do you
> mean by X0?  That's what cat breeders use to describe tortiseshells.

45 X0 - 1 X chromosome only, no other sex chromosomes.  as opposed to
normal 46XX.

The funny elbows thing is difficult to visualise.  stand upright, let your
hands hang loose, with your palms facing forward.  notice that your forearm
bends outward slightly so that you avoid hitting your hips?  this angle is
more pronounced in women (15-20 degrees) than in men (~12 degrees), however
is very pronounced in women with turner's syndrome.

--
"The fear of death is the beginning of slavery."
	-- Hagbard Celine