Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 19:28:23 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
Cc:        chuckr@mat.net (Chuck Robey), mike@smith.net.au, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is it soup yet? :-)

Robert Nordier wrote:
> Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > I don't know enough about the bootblocks ... I just followed Mike's
> > steps in getting myself installed ok, but is it possible to write a
> > program that could probe the boot disk, read the bootblocks, and decide
> > if they need upgrading ... and if they do, printing a warning message,
> > and then refuse to install the new kernel?
> >
> > If this could be done, you know this will save a *lot* of complaints
> > about insufficient warnings.  You could warn until you're hoarse,
> > they'll *still* miss it, unless the build process itself screams at
>
> It'd be reasonably simple to do a dd/sh script to detect whether the
> new (/sys/boot/i386/boot2) bootblocks are installed.  But detecting
> whether the old boot blocks are up to the task of loading boot/loader
> is probably a non-starter.
>
> Don't think one could really refuse to install the kernel.  Though a
> default option to preserve a /kernel.aout (if otherwise no aout kernel
> would be available in /) may be an easy route, if we must protect
> folks from themselves.

We could check that the /kernel (if it exists) that we are going to replace
is the same format as the one we've just built and fail (with a descriptive
message) if not.

Then let them choose to either install an elf kernel by using a different
target that renames the old kernel somewhere safe, or to override the
KERNFORMAT in /etc/make.conf and try and hang onto the old a.out format.

We can give explicit instructions on how to upgrade bootblocks, do
preliminary tests, etc by pointing them to a README file somewhere.

This way we will stop people getting their feet blown off by accident if
they were not paying attention.  I think this is the safest way of forcing
the issue without hurting people.

Cheers,
-Peter