Date:      12 Nov 1998 15:59:24 -0600
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        dfr@nlsystems.com, sos@freebsd.dk, n@nectar.com, nate@mt.sri.com, kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au, dnelson@emsphone.com, rivers@dignus.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux software installation and uname

>>> What about install scripts that reside on cdroms?  You can't magically
>>> edit a cdrom install script unless unionfs works.
>> I'm not talking about editing a script.  I'm talking about:
>> PATH=/compat/linux/bin:/compat/linux/usr/bin:${PATH} ; make install
> Echo: What about install scripts that reside on cdroms?  You can't magically
>       edit a cdrom install script unless unionfs works.
> #! /bin/sh
> PATH=/cdrom:/foo:/bar
> export PATH
> rest of script

You can copy the script to a different directory and execute it from
there.  If you have a full /compat/linux, you may be able to chroot to
that and not worry about the path.  You can set the path to include
/compat/linux before executing your install scripts.

I have heard no proposals that could magically look at a given install
script and determine whether it is for Linux or FreeBSD, and handle
uname correctly.  Until I do, I will assert that any install script
must be run with some changes to the environment-- although not the
script.  You set the path, THEN run the script from the install
cd-rom.  I do not see any possible way to handle all Linux install
scripts out of the box, unless you want to run Linux.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org