Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 10:06:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Don <don@calis.BlackSun.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time_t and clock_t

> ... and the 2 cents of mine:
>
> In the year 2038, int will be >= 64 bits anyway (IF we're
> still programming in C by then, which I doubt).  So let's
> rather stay compatible and let time_t be an int.  In fact,
> we're gonna have problems if it's not an int, because many
> software assumes that it's an int.  This might not be good
> style, but it's a fact.
Since we are each giving our 2 cents ...

Intel is going to Merced soon enough. FreeBSD is going to have to be
ported to Merced too so why not beat the rush and have a fully 64 bit
compatible system. Why should we wait until the last second like all of
the Y2K people did. Let's get the Alpha port using a 64 bit time_t and
this way there will be no worried later on. And if and when Merced comes
out FreeBSD can be a truly 64 bit system ready for the next century.

-Don