Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 20:51:29 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        tomdean@ix.netcom.com (Thomas Dean)
Cc:        rnordier@nordier.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make aout-to-elf failures (from 2.2.7-RELEASE to -current ELF)

Thomas Dean wrote:

> I did an aout-to-elf-build.  It appeared to run to completion,
> although there was no console message about completion.  It just
> stopped after making etc/freebsd.cf.
>
> I am running an aout SMP system, cvsup'ed and built yesterday.
> Building the boot blocks failed.  objcopy is in /usr/bin, not
> /usr/libexec as make complains.  I attachd the messages.
>
> tomdean

> # cd /sys/boot
> # make all install
>
> ===> i386/btx/btxldr
> cc  --assembler-with-cpp -c -o btxldr.o /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/btx/btxldr/btxldr.s
> ld -nostdlib -N -s -T 0x100000 -o btxldr.out btxldr.o
> dd if=btxldr.out of=btxldr ibs=32 skip=1
> 37+1 records in
> 2+1 records out
> 1200 bytes transferred in 0.004696 secs (255536 bytes/sec)
> Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/btx/btxldr
> ===> i386/btx/lib
> as  -elf -o btxcsu.o btxcsu.s
> as  -elf -o btxsys.o btxsys.s
> as  -elf -o btxv86.o btxv86.s
> ld  -elf -i -o crt0.o btxcsu.o btxsys.o btxv86.o
> Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/btx/lib
> ===> i386/boot2
> (cd /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/boot2; m4 boot1.m4 boot1.s) |  as  -o boot1.o
> ld -nostdlib -static -N -e start -Ttext 0x7c00 -o boot1.out boot1.o
> objcopy -S -O binary boot1.out boot1
> objcopy: could not exec aout/objcopy in /usr/libexec: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.

This indicates that the new boot code is being built in a.out rather
than ELF format.  You need ELF for this.

It's a long time since I did an aout-to-elf upgrade, but it seems
your system hasn't been properly or completely upgraded to ELF.

You could try setting OBJFORMAT to ELF explicitly.  If that works,
you have an ELF world but most likely an incorrect setting somewhere.
Otherwise you'll have to retry the aout-to-elf upgrade.

--
Robert Nordier