Date:      Tue, 02 Feb 1999 22:32:39 -0700
From:      Allen Campbell <allenc@verinet.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Regarding Promoting KDE - Wait, why not GNUstep?

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Okay, so KDE might be easy to use for newbies coming from Window
> > 95/98/NT because it sort of looks alike, but why add an enviroment that
> > slows down the system?
>
> Because Kirk McKusick has promised that the number of MIPS that
> are delivered to the keyboard has remained constant since 1974,
> and we intend to keep his promise as processors get faster.  It's
> now a holy obligation.
>
> 8-).

No coercion required; I only suggest it might make a nice default (not
standard, not required, just default) desktop.  Alternatives should be
available.  The key is to have the user presented with something more
engaging than a csh prompt after installation.  I could basically care
less which specific environment it is, but I happen to think KDE is a
better start.

> Seriously, graphical doesn't imply Microsoft Windows.
>
> If you have alternatives, and good arguments for those alternatives,
> then, why, it's time for a contest!
>
> > KDE is probably alot farther ahead than the GNUstep team, but with
> > more help maybe it will move forward faster.
>
> I have to say that those KDE guys are maniacs.  You really need to
> go look at the current status of "KOffice".

I have to agree.  The amount of work coming out of that project is
overwhelming.  A KDE user make take for granted that they built there
own web browser! :)  A bit of NIH there perhaps.  I wonder if they have
considered welding that NGLayout stuff from Mozzila into the kfm
framework...

--
  Allen Campbell       |  Remember parents; do not 'over shake'
  allenc@verinet.com   |   your infant.