Date:      Tue, 09 Feb 1999 18:07:16 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@ca.sandia.gov>
Cc:        Mirror Beastie <rudi@askas.co.za>, Andrzej Szydlo <andrzej@freebsd.org.pl>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: multiple networked X sessions

> [resent due to pilot error, sorry, gjb!]

I got it about three times, but didn't take much note of the
headers ...

> > Your terminology is a bit fuzzy here, so it's difficult to know
> > what you mean.  If you want to have the xdm (or equivalent) on
> > the other host run in a window on the first host, you can't do
> > that.  But why would you want it anyway?
>
> One reason might be that you've got a bunch of windows on a machine in
> one location (at work, say), and you somewhere else (home, perhaps)
> and you want to be able to access all of those same windows remotely.

Okay, I didn't think of that scenario -- probably because it
horrifies me from security reasons.  I would never leave a
machine unattended that I was logged in to, unless it was in a
secure room under my control, and then there'd be no need for
this kind of trick.  But, for people who either don't need to
worry about the security implications or who don't care about
them, this sounds like an interesting solution.

> PS.  Should you have a need to remote a Windoze screen, you can do
> that too.

Not in a trillion years!

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>