Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:05:07 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Linus Nordberg <linus.nordberg@canit.se>, Mike Thompson <miket@dnai.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kerberos vs SSH

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     That's a pretty old message.  If you look at the followups to it
>     you will find the counterargument from the ssh 2 people, and a
>     third example from even older bignum source code that is very similar
>     to the ssh 2 and gmp code.
>
>     There are only so many ways a bignum library can be written.  Still,
>     I think the GMP author was right in regards to the SSH 2 people using
>     his code verbatim.  On the otherhand, bignum is something that a
>     good programmer could write from scratch in a week.   The last two
>     postings in the thread note that the bignum code can be derived from
>     Knuth's Seminumerical Alg. book fairly easily... in a few hours.  I'd
>     agree with that comment too.
>
> 					-Matt
> 					Matthew Dillon
> 					<dillon@backplane.com>

Anybody who has taken a computer algebra course in part of their
curriculum should be able to implement the easy part of arbitary length
library (arbitary length integers & operations over finite fields) with
relative ease.

There should be *many* such people.

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.