Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 18:58:08 +1000
From:      David Hobley <davidh@wr.com.au>
To:        Piet Delaney <piet@cup.hp.com>, davidh@progmatics.com.au, hasty@netcom.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, obrien@nuxi.com, piet@hpfsvr02.cup.hp.com, piet@piet.net, sane-devel@mostang.com
Subject:   Re: Sane 1.0.1 - Looks like /usr/local/lib/libsaine-net.so.1 wasn't installed.

Well, I have checked my config here. My dmesg reports:

pt0 at ncr0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
pt0: <HP C5100A R032> Fixed Processor SCSI-2 device
pt0: 3.300MB/s transfers

My hp.conf file has in it:

scsi HP
/dev/scanner

My /dev reports:

[4 ishtar: etc/sane.d] % ls -l /dev/scanner
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3 Feb  3 07:23 /dev/scanner@ -> pt0
[5 ishtar: etc/sane.d] % ls -l /dev/pt0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  sysprog   61,   0 Feb  1 08:30 /dev/pt0

My kernel is configured to have:

device pt0 at scbus?                    # SCSI processor type
device sctarg0 at scbus?                # SCSI target

For some reason, when I run scanimage --list-devices, mine doesn't
appear, but if I type

xscanimage hp:/dev/pt0

everything runs as expected.

Hope that helps.