Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 1999 16:41:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk
Cc:        nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk, jdp@polstra.com, nclayton@lehman.com, jdp@freebsd.org, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, doc@freebsd.org, kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp, motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp
Subject:   Re: Resolution: FDP reorganisation

 * From: Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>

 * None of the previous objectors have commented on this yet.  Can I assume
 * that those of you with an interest have run the script that was attached,
 * and are happy with the results?

I haven't had the time to actually run it.  *Speaking for myself*,
assuming you agreed in this mail to let the Japanese people choose the
installation directory and symlink names of Japanese documents, I'm
cool.

===
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 20:55:37 +0100
From: Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To: Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc: nclayton@lehman.com, motoyuki@snipe.rim.or.jp,
	nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com,
	kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp, doc@FreeBSD.ORG,
	freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, jdp@FreeBSD.ORG,
	freebsd-tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 05:04:36AM -0700, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
 :
> We have no problem with having a framework to let people choose.
> We're just saying that we would like to choose a default that makes
> sense to most Japanese systems and have people with special
> requirements (such as the ones you mentioned above) change it by
> themselves.

OK.

===

As for the changes themselves, here are some minor comments I have
after glancing over your comments.

 *     2.4  Leave the FAQ alone.  When it is converted to DocBook (my next task
 *          after this) it will be placed in the books/ directory.  But we can do
 * 	 this without needing to do repository copies.

You can do anything without repository copies. :)  But I think it's
better to start with a copied version (even if it's just to overwrite
it whole) so we won't lose history.

 * 4.  Fix the Japanese hierarchy
 *
 *     4.1  Use the new scheme for ja
 *
 *             % cp -rp ja ja_JP.eucJP

What about the tags?  I haven't seen the reply to my mail suggesting
we keep the tags here and remove them from the original (to be moved
to Attic) versions.

Now that I think about it, maybe it's better if we leave dead in the
Attic and just rename tags here.  What do you think about changing the
tags from "release_X_Y_Z" to "RELEASE_X_Y_Z"?  This should be a simple
sed job on the ,v files.

 *     6.1  Use the new scheme for zh
 *
 *            % cp -rp zh zh_TW.Big5

Did I mention that there are actually a few slightly different "Big5"s
out there?  There are at least two major versions, one from Taiwan and
one from Hong Kong.  You may want to check with your Chinese friends
if they are really happy with that name.

To quote from the mule info page:

===
File: mule, Node: Big5, Prev: ISO2022 restriction, Up: Coding-system

Special treatment of Big5
=========================

As far as I know, there's several different codes called
Big5.  The most famous ones are Big5-ETen and
Big5-HKU-form2.  Since both of them use a code range 0xa140
- 0xfefe (in each row, columns (second byte) 0x7f - 0xa0 is
skipped) and number of characters is more than 13000, it's impossible to
treat each of them as a single character-set in the current Mule system.
So, Mule treat them in a quite irregular manner as described below:

  1. Mule does not treats them as a different character set, but as the
     same character set called Big5.
     	Caution!! Big5 is a different character set from GB.

  2. Mule divides Big5 into two sub-character-sets:
     	0xa140 - 0xc67e (Level 1)
     	0xc6a1 - 0xfefe (Level 2) and allocates two leading-chars
     lc-big5-1 and lc-big5-2 to them.  (See character.txt)

  3. Usually, each leading-char (or character-set) has unique character
     category.  But lc-big5-1 and lc-big5-2 has the same character
     category of mnemonic 't'.  So, regular expression "\\ct" matches
     any Big5 (Level 1 and Level 2) characters.  (See syntax.txt)

  4. If you specify ISO2022 type coding-system on output, Mule converts
     Big5 code using unofficial final-characters '0' (for Level 1) and '
     1' (for Level 2).

  5. You can use either fonts of ETen or HKU for displaying Big5 code.
     Mule judges which font is used by examining existence of character
     whose code point is 0xC6A1.  If it exists, the font is HKU, else
     the fonts is ETen.
===

Satoshi