Date:      08 Jul 1999 10:58:40 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        mavery@mail.otherwhen.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP T4000s Tape Drive problems

Mike> On 7 Jul 99, at 15:16, Jon Drukman wrote:

>> I've got one of these HP Colorado T4000s SCSI tape drives on my
>> FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE system and it's driving me crazy.  It uses
>> Travan TR-4 tapes.

On Wed, 7 Jul 1999 17:30:22 -0500, "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com> said:

Mike> Two words - door stop.  Travan is evil and not to be trusted, no
Mike> matter what the interface - or what the dealer says.

I have one and it worked fine on FreeBSD-2.2.x: quite fast and data
did come back. I used it manually or automagically with Amanda.
My biggest complaint was the cost of media: $35-$30 a slice.

Now under FreeBSD-3.1 the no-rewind device insists on rewinding so
dumping multiple filesystems (or Amanda) overwrites data: worthless.
I'll admit to not trying it since my lates cvsup and make world cycle.
Would be nice to use it ocassionally, tho I use a 4xDDS-2 jukebox I
found cheap at an auction house now for Amanda.