Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 18:23:00 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>, Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, crypt0genic <crypt0genic@ecad.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Cable quality (was: poor ethernet performance?)

On Friday, 16 July 1999 at 19:15:31 -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :	Actually, I was referring to *digital* Audio cables like those
> :used for CD Transports to Digital/Analog convertors such as Kimber Kable
> :would be higher grade compared to Monster Cable.  You're correct about the
> :bit errors though.
>
>     Digital is digital.  Either it works or it doesn't.

Anything that goes over copper isn't digital, it's digital simulated
on analogue.  Poor quality cables *can* cause problems.  But I'm sure
that most of the folklore that circulates on this subject is of the
same nature as the advice to use loudspeaker cables with at least
20mm**2 cross section, preferably driven by tube-based amplifiers.

Greg