Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 07:28:15 -0700
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Francisco Reyes <freyes@inch.com>
Cc:        "advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG" <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More changes to new advocacy site.

Francisco Reyes wrote:

> >2.  What are the capabilities for the site to grow and expand?
>
> This is essential.. that the site can handle a reasonable amount of
> load. Idially it would be best to have it hosted at freebsd.org, but I
> am not sure how this could be worked out, specially since the new site
> is running with MySQL.
>
> This point has been brought up before. Using MySQL gives the site more
> power/flexibility, but makes it more difficult to port, and on this
> case, to get approval to run on someone elses computer (i.e.
> freebsd.org).

	There are some ways to doing this.  For instance, you could create a
script to rebuild all the pages once or more a day.  Those would then be
the real pages, which in turn could also be used for mirroring.  You
would have to be very specific in how the site is constructed, but by no
means impossible.

> >Do you have people who have
> >offered to help at different levels ( like reviewing/auth'ing
>
> This is one of the reasons why SlashDot has suceeded. There is a team
> of people approving/trashing news.
> We need something simmilar up/front.
>
> Possibly a couple of categories:
> -Approvers. People who can approve articles/notes entered in the
> system.
> -Coders. People to enhance functionality.
>
> I don't think too much writing should be done in this site. Best
> coordinate articles with FreebsdZine or daemon news.

	I don't know, I think one of the things that would be nice to see is
some original content from time to time.  I've seen both slashdot and
linuxtoday throwing in the occasional original stuff, and that's nice to
see.

	The other big thing is being able to post comments.  One way or the
other there should be some sort of rapid feedback process in place.

> >3.  What are the objectives of the site, my impression was that we were
> >aiming for something of mix between slashdot.org and linuxtoday.com,
> >with some relation to linux.com.
>
> Given the number of FreeBSD related news are not that frequent we may
> want to include other news of interest to the FreeBSD community.

	This is one reason why a possible name change may be more useful than
the current one.  "FreeBSD Advocacy" may limit the scope of the site
more than what we want to cover.

> In particular I like the idea of reviewing a FreeBSD site per week. In
> particular smaller sites. Could be site with info about FreeBSD or
> sites running on FreeBSD.

	Good idea, and this could even be separate group of people, who then
submit the site review.

--

Joseph Scott

joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu
CSU Sacramento - Office Of Water Programs