Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:46:30 -0800
From:      Shawn Ramsey <shawn@megadeth.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arplookup

At 03:03 AM 12/28/99 +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>Shawn Ramsey wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
>  > arplookup 192.216.87.246 failed: host is not on local network
>  >
>  > Does anyone know what that error means, and how I might fix it? I am
>  > getting these sorts of entries on the console for numerous(maybe all) of
>  > the workstations on that network.
>
>It most probably means that the host with the IP number
>192.216.87.246 has a wrong netmask configured.
>
>For example, assume that two hosts A and B are on two different
>class-C networks, i.e. their "natural" netmask is 255.255.255.0.
>Then assume that host B has a (wrong) netmask configured which
>is 255.255.0.0, but it still can reach A because there's a
>switch or a bridge between them (or something similar) which
>just forwards the packets.
>
>Now when B sends a packet directly to A (without using the
>default route, because of the wrong netmask), A will add B to
>its arp table.  This normally happens every time the IP stack
>discovers a "new" host on the network, to save ARP requests.
>However, the kernel will discover that B is not on its local
>network (according to the correct netmask), therefore the arp
>entry is not valid (hosts which are on other networks are
>only reachable through the default route [or some other route],
>but not directly, so they cannot have their own arp entries in
>the arp table of A).
>
>This is clearly an error, and so your syslog entry is
>generated.
>
>To fix it, you should correct the netmasks of those hosts.
>
>I hope my explanations make some sense to you.  :-)

Yes, that makes sense, and I think I found the problem, but not quite sure
what is wrong yet. If I do a traceroute from this box to one of the local
workstations, it goes out through the default route rather than directly to
the machine. I guess a netmask is setup wrong somewhere, but I haven't
found it. This particular BSD box is connected to many different networks,
and about 120+ IPS assigned to it.