Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 10:00:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brian Handy <handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Nathan Mahon <vaevictus@socket.net>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ECC RAM useless with FreeBSD?

>> [Woo hoo!  Space stuff!]

>> Aren't we talking about laptops for astronauts? they're going to be
>> used in zero-gravity right? so what does it matter what they weigh?
>
>Because until they get into orbit, they have weight which must be
>propelled into space.  Getting it into space is expensive, and there's
>no need for ruggedization (except to keep out radiation) like the
>military requires.

Yep, weight's an issue.  It's a little more relaxed on the shuttle than
other launchers, but getting stuff into space runs upwards of US$7,000/lb.
I think the shuttle is worse than that.  The tradeoffs are pretty obvious;
you give up altitude for weight.  The other major concerns are surviving
the vibration at launch, thermal worries, and safety.

Weight's a much much bigger issue on the smaller launch vehicles, where
there's a set limit on how much you can launch, and you're constantly
trading serious quantities of altitude for weight.  (Most of the stuff I
do is in this category -- Pegasus XLs for Small Explorer class satellites,
and Black Brandts/Nike missiles for sounding rockets.)  They launch people
will even give you a nice graph of altitude vs. payload weight.

To finish my thought, now that I'm sure I'm off on a tangent:  I don't
know what effect low atmospheric pressure and no gravity would have on
cooling in a laptop, but someone would probably want to know.  And safety
on the shuttle is a HUGE issue -- having a battery blow up in an
astronaut's lap would probably be an Issue.  :-)

Er, what was the question?

Brian