Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 19:00:16 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        luigi@info.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wormcontrol replacement coming!

It seems Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> btw for the records -- on 2.2.x i noticed i needed some wait between
> the transfer of data to CDR, and the "fixate" command (in other words,
> the fixation would often immediately fail if done within the same wormcontrol
> instance in charge of the data transfer.)
>
> I got lazy and instead of investigating the problem i realised that issuing
> the "wormcontrol fixate data" manually after the previous one was done did
> fix things, so i have no idea if it was related with my port of the worm
> support to 2.2.x, with the possible absence of closing and reopening the device, or with just the delay between the commands. Any idea ?

I've not seen the fixate fail, but I've seen the second write to
a multitrack disk fail if the device is not closed inbetween.
The problem was that the b_offset that is used to calculate the
LBA to write to, is not reset between the writes, so the
address doesn't corresspond with the address found with the
next_writeable function.  This is fixed now...

I've also investigated using the READCD cmd instead of READ_BIG to
read the CD, this allows one to read _any_ data in _any_ format
off the CD, thereby eliminating the need for rippers, you just
dd the audio CD into a file, handy :). It seems to work pretty
well, so I might commit that too...

-Søren