Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 14:19:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Theo van Klaveren <havoc@phoenix.student.utwente.nl>
To:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Theo van Klaveren <havoc@Cal30B054.student.utwente.nl>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA driver timeout

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Soren Schmidt wrote:

> It seems Theo van Klaveren wrote:
> >
> > I'm in doubt as to the first drive though: The BIOS says it's 'Mode 4',
> > is that the same as WDMA2? Could the harddisk be reporting the wrong
> > value, even though the BIOS is giving the correct one? I'm just grasping
> > at straws here.
>
> Mode 4 is PIO4 that is no DMA, it could very well be the problem,
> WD has made a lot of problematic drives in this area.
> You could try to comment out the dmainit call in ata-disk.c and
> see if that helps you.

That helps me, but if I'm not mistaken it also disabled UDMA33 on the
second drive.

Ah well.. at least I can boot an ATA kernel now.

> And yes, I'm working on a way to set this from useland...

That'd be really nice, though if the kernel doesn't even boot to single
user mode, I don't see how this would help users with this problem, as
you'd have to do it before reboot.

Thanks for the swift reply,

    /^\     | Theo van Klaveren       <havoc@phoenix.student.utwente.nl>
 /^\\_//^\  | http://phoenix.student.utwente.nl             ICQ #1353681
    /       |                          This email was powered by FreeBSD

`He's the mad scientist, and I'm his beautiful daughter.'
    - opening sentence from Heinlein's 'The number of the beast'