Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 01:31:56 +0600 (NOVT)
From:      "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   compat22 problem on fresh and clean 3.4-RELEASE install

Hi!

I was doing fresh and clean setup of FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE installation on
one of my friends' box (that's over a month already from when I first
heard about FreeBSD :-)

I've done the following:

wget -b -t 0 -r ftp://ftp1.ru.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.4-RELEASE

(NOTE: I don't have any of packages nor ports/distfiles -- no even such
dir -- symlink ~packages after 'wget' in the install dir points nowhere)

to get local copy on my fBSD box (I will install via ftp from there).
Then, got kern.flp from /floppies and mfsroot.flp from /floppies/updates,
booted fine; and everything went all right except that when I tried to
commit changes, it said that "unable to install the following:" and empty
list (just the warning window and the message, but not stating what
exactly it was unable to install -- that seems strange to me already).  I
said "retry" and it was fetching comapt22 tarz (the progress indicator
went on), with the same message at the end (something like "cannot install
what you want 'cause it appears not to be on the installation media you've
selected").  I've checked all md5 sums and file/dir permissions -- all
four compat dirs (11, 20, 21, 22) seem to be ok where they belong; I'm
installing all four of them and 22 is the only one that doesn't work.

Am I missing something silly here?  First, I thought that maybe I need
something except compat22.?? files (i.e. some packages I don't have), but
that would be strange -- I can have all other compat's, and for some
weird reason, cannot have comapt22.

Ideas?  Any information will be greatly appreciated.  When I was
installing 3.3-RELEASE some time ago, I didn't have any problems with
compat22 (I did have all the packages though).

 ,--------------------------------------,     ____            ___  _______
 | Alexey N. Dokuchaev, more commonly   |    / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __/ _ \
 | known as DAN Fe                      |   / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/ // /
 | Novosibirsk State University         `-------- The Power to Serve --------,
 | Scientific Study Center Computer Lab                                      |
 | email: danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru     homepage: http://inet.ssc.nsu.ru/~danfe/ |
 | ICQ UIN: 38934845                                                         |

A good conspiracy is unprovable.  I mean, if you can prove it, it means they
screwed up somewhere along the line.

					Jerry Fletcher from Conspiracy Theory