Date:      Sat, 06 May 2000 08:13:03 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        Daniel Robbins <drobbins@gentoo.org>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: digital output on FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE

Daniel

> I'm trying to find a sound card with a good digital (optical, coax,
> AES/EBU, anything)

There is nothing supported that I know of.

But hhe trick can be done with the ES1373 chip,
which in the UK is found on the Creative Labs SoundBlaster PCI 16

I've seen code in the linux driver, and seen hacks for the
Windows driver, to set the chip up so digital audio
comes out of one of the sockets on the card.

So, if someone (not me) wanted to, they could take the
ideas from the linux driver and elsewhere on the
internet and modify our FreeBSD driver to do this.

Roger