Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 17:00:50 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <djkanter@northwestern.edu>, "FreeBSD questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PPPoE and dhclient for DSL?

> I'm a little confused on what I need to configure for my upcoming DSL
> connection that uses PPPoE: Do I need to simply configure PPPoE, or
> must I configure PPPoE *and* dhclient?
>
> My address will be dynamically assigned, and it seems that both PPPoE
> and dhclient take care of this. But after a little more reading, it
> seems that dhclient is for a true Ethernet, whereas I should stick
> with PPPoE, right?

Exactly.  If your ISP is using PPPoE, then you can forget all about DHCP.

> Do I have to make changes to /etc/rc.conf like this:
>
> ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"
>
> or should I just leave it alone, since my PPPoE connection will be
> using the tun0 device?

Leave it alone.

Here's a piece of my ppp.conf which configures tun0 and your choice of
ethernet device to do PPPoE.  (You'd change ed1 to xl0).  Note that this
uses netgraph, so you need to have 3.4-RELEASE or newer, plus the
appropriate kernel configuration to use it. (options NETGRAPH needs to be
specified.)

mydsl:
 set device PPPoE:ed1
 set authname name