Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:25:39 -0500
From:      Matthew Cerha <mcerha@io.com>
To:        Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
Cc:        Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quantum Snap Server and FreeBSD?

> > I have been looking at various NAS File Servers over the past couple of
> > weeks (ranging from NetApp Filers to Auspex's) as well as basic RAID
> > solutions.  I came across both the Snap Server 4000 from Quantum, and the
> > Maxtor MaxAttach NAS 400 in my search, and I wanted to ask the FreeBSD
> > community at large to see if they have had any experiences using either of
> > these products. (Both accessible via NFS and SMB)  We plan on deploying
> > one of these products in a mostly mixed Net\FreeBSD server environment (as
> > well as a smattering of legacy Sun/SGI/HP/AIX systems mixed in for "fun")
>
> I bought a Quantum Snap Server 4000. I'm not overly thrilled with it,
> although it does perform exactly as advertised. The problem is that it
> it doesn't support normal unix permissions, and it runs NFS version 2.
> This means that it doesn't integrate very well with my unix network.
> (Plus it requires that you run Windows (ugh!) to completely manage it,
> although a lot of the management can be done through the web
> interface.)

Another option is the OpenNAS gear at www.raidzone.com. It's Linux based,
so intergrating into a *NIX environment should be easy. Supports Samba and
Appletalk as well. They are trying to be a low-cost alternative to NetApps.
I don't own one or have not used one, but they looked interesting.

Cheers,

Matthew Cerha         | "*If*, is the word in the middle of *life*."
mcerha AT io.com      |              --Apocalypse Now