Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:14:32 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mouse question....

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 10:31:58PM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> [000824 21:50] wrote:
> >
> >     Hi, Y'all,
> >
> >     This is a long shot, but here goes.  --On my other FBSD system
> >     which is as 4.0, the mouse won't work.  A friend just checked
> >     the hardware ports, switched the mouse from COM1 to COM2.  (COM2
> >     or, in the case of my modem, /dev/cuaa1, is working.)  Zip;
> >     nothing.  He tried the mouse on this system on the other.  Again,
> >     nothinng.  He thinks that in my upgrading to 4.0, part of my
> >     mouse software may have been hosed.
> >
> >     Any suggestions how I can diagnose the software side of this?
> >
> >     I'm stumped.
>
> It's possible that there's a switch somewhere on the mouse that makes
> it go from "microsoft" to "mousesystems" try toggling the switch
> and alternating between moused settings for "microsoft" and
> "mousesystems".
>
> Some mice have the switch but "mousesystems" doesn't seem to work
> properly, so your best bet is to try both toggles with moused set
> as "microsoft", once you get that working you may want to try
> the other position and "mousesystems" in order to get use of your
> third button if you have one.
>
> If your mouse doesn't have a toggle... well then save this for future
> reference. :)

	The mouse (Belkin? or something like that) has a switch
	between "Microsoft" and "PS2";  we didn't try the PS2
	but the "Microsoft" setting definitely failed.

	The mouse on this box is that works here wouldn't work on
	the other FBSD computer.

	gary

	PS: It occurs to me to rcp over the /etc/XF86Config from here
	make the X -> link and try again with this mouse.  Didn't think
	of that last night... .

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix