Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:58:16 +0400
From:      "Valeriy E. Ushakov" <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'll be rolling a 4.1.1 release on September 25th

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 11:25:51 -0600, Nate Williams wrote:

> > Because I dont favour the ioctl interface, its no longer needed...
>                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > No its not, you simply open /dev/acdNc and set the blocksize to
> > what you need with the CDRIOCSETBLKSIZE ioctl and reads the blocks
>                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > woth a normal read from the device....
>
> So, do you like ioctl(), or not?  First you say it's not needed, then
> you say open a device and use ioctl() on it?
>
> You can't have it both ways. :) :) :)

Actually you can :)

My understanding of the point Soren makes is that it's strange to use
ioctl for _reading_ data from the device.  And that's hard to deny.
OTOH setting block size is a control operation and does belong to
ioctl.  Right?

Anyway I hacked may way through it and reported my findings on
freebsd-multimedia, so if Soren thinks my hack is not bogus and doesn
break other things (and I don't know *anything* about ATAPI) then
hopefully, grabbing VCD's will be supported in stable real soon
now. :-)

PS: But, my, CDRIO (note the 'R') ioctl for otherwise purely CDIO
activity.  That's gross...

SY, Uwe