Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:01:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: library-port matching tool?

Michael Lucas writes:
> > > Do we have a generalized method of looking up a library to find out
> > > what port it's in?
> > Yes, but it sucks:
> > 	find /usr/ports -name PLIST | xargs grep <library>
> Hmmm... does that work if the port isn't installed?

Depends on what you mean by "port isn't installed." It obviously won't
find things that are in ports for which you don't have the port in
/usr/ports. However, it will work for things that you haven't done a
"make install" for.

If you want to check things that you've done a "make install" on, then
use this:

	find /var/db/pkg -name +CONTENTS | xargs grep <library>

It doesn't suck quite so much - unless you have many ports installed.

	<mike