Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 18:32:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        josh@zipperup.org (Josh Tiefenbach)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), receiver@RedDust.BlueSky.net.au (Idea Receiver), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange problem of PPPoE + NAT

> > BTW: I believe PPPoE in both Julian and Archie's cases specifically
> > uses the netgraph PPP implementation, so it's an "all in the
> > kernel" approach; the problem may be your use of user space code
> > (i.e. killable code, since you can't kill it in the kernel, only
> > unlink or unload it).
>
> Actually, I dont believe so. At least, ppp(8) merely uses the PPPoE netgraph
> node, and does all PPP processing in user space, AFAICT.
>
> If, however, you're referring to mpd, then yes, that uses the netgraph PPP
> implementation.

Yes, mpd.  Both Archie and Julian were running pure netgraph
systems with different PPPoE cable modem provider configurations;
I can't vouch for Archie's configuration, but I'm positive that
Julian had it going, since he was using it at his apartment in SFO
before he went back to OZ.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---