Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:42:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Subject:   Re: alpha/22650: SCSI cdrom attach problems on 4-stable

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >> Since autosense is failing, the cd(4) driver can't tell what sort of error
> >> is getting returned (and therefore whether the drive is really accessible),
> >> so it won't attach.
> >
> >An AUTOSENSE failing means that a check condition occurred, but no sense data
> >is available. That should, in fact, be treated identically to READ CAPACITY
> >failing because there's no media.
>
> Are you saying that the Qlogic firmware will return autosense fail
> if the sense information is all zeros (no sense)?  That would be
> really broken.

No, no, no... It gives you a special status of "AUTOSENSE FAIL"- sort of much
like how the AHA1542 does it. But you know a check condition occurred.

> >What's more important is that cam_periph_error or the periph should send a
> >REQUEST SENSE if AUTOSENSE fails- the sim should not be the one doing this.
>
> I don't know that you are guaranteed to get correct sense in this case
> as the first attempt to retrieve sense may have cleared or changed
> the sense information.  I do have this implemented, BTW, in some error
> recovery enhancements I've made, but I still don't know that it is
> the appropriate thing to do.

Yes- that troubles me also. But w/o being able to say *why* autosense failed
it's the best one can do.

The pragmatics here are that if you have a CHECK CONDITION, maybe 7 times out
of 10 you really don't care what the Sense Key is. It's either an operation
you can retry on (most I/O to stateless devices) or fundamentally don't much
care about (e.g., a CHECK CONDITION on a tape unload).

-matt