Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 08:06:39 +0600 (ALMT)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MSDOS FS and flock?

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > duplication other than wrapper to standard function. Of course, if this
> > patch going to be committed, then vop_stdadvlock() should be introduced.
>
> Well, ignoring the fact that "vop_std*" takes the decision out
> of the authors hands... ;^)

	No, it doesn't - presence of vop_std* functions doesn't mean that
they are included in the default VOPs. And even in the later case, after
is free to overload them.

> I think the only way a vop_stdadvlock() can be introduced is if
> the lock list moves off of a per VFS addressed list, like that
> in UFS and in the MSDOSFS patch,  The problem is that the only
> non-opaque method of creating a uniform FS object reference is
> the vnode.  That means the list has to be hung off the vnode,
> for the code to be centralized.

	Yes, sounds reasonable.
> > 	Indeed, but evolution of VFS is not finished :)
>
> Ugh.  Software does not evolve.  It is designed, and it is

	"Ugh" - don't take things too literally. I'm pretty aware of the
stages included in the software development processes, but sometimes
choose incorrect terms in the non-native language :)

--
Boris Popov
http://www.butya.kz/~bp/