Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 18:24:02 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Mark Coletti <mcoletti@clark.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports collection CVS tags broken

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 11:11:13AM -0500, Mark Coletti wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Dec 2000 13:48:47 +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 08:11:59PM -0500, Mark Coletti wrote:
> > > Doing a CVS update for the tags RELENG_4 and RELENG_4_1_1_RELEASE
> > > yields empty directories.
> > >
> > > Cheers!
>
> > As George Reid said, you are using the wrong tags.  To be more specific,
> > here's a quote from /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile:
> >
>   [...]
>
> > I'd say that was an explicit enough warning :P
>
>   Except I was using anonymous CVS and NOT cvsUP.  So that warning is
> irrelevent.  Worse yet, I **RTFM**.  **THAT IS WHAT'S BROKEN**.
>
>   Specifically, I went here for the CVS repository and tag information:
>
>              http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/anoncvs.html
>
>   Using those tags yeilds the pathological behaviour I first pointed
> out.

In your words: harumph?
Excuse me?

A quote from anoncvs.html..

   Here are the branch tags that users might be interested in (keep in
   mind that the only tags valid for the ports collection is HEAD).

   HEAD
          Symbolic name for the main line, or FreeBSD-CURRENT. Also the
          default when no revision is specified.

   RELENG_4
          The line of development for FreeBSD-4.X, also known as
          FreeBSD-STABLE.

   RELENG_3
          The line of development for FreeBSD-3.X, also known as
          3.X-STABLE.

   RELENG_2_2
          The line of development for FreeBSD-2.2.X, also known as
          2.2-STABLE. This branch is mostly obsolete.

   Here are the revision tags that users might be interested in. Again,
   none of these are valid for the ports collection since the ports
   collection does not have multiple revisions.

Am I the only one seeing references to tags valid to the ports collection
in this text?

Besides, anoncvs.html has a link to CVSWeb at the bottom, and CVSWeb
does a *perfect* job of displaying the tags available for the directory
it's currently showing; nowhere does it mention RELENG_* for the ports
collection - it shows RELEASE_x_x_x for every file in every directory.

>   Whoever maintains that page needs to:
>
>   s/RELENG/RELEASE/g

Nope, whoever reads that page needs to pay attention to what it says,
not just the capitalized portions of the text (the tags).

G'luck,
Peter

--
If there were no counterfactuals, this sentence would not have been paradoxical.