Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 09:34:51 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        Spikeman <spikeman@myself.com>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a dialup ROUTER/GATEWAY

* Spikeman <spikeman@myself.com> [20001208 07:03]: writing on the subject 'Re: FreeBSD as a dialup ROUTER/GATEWAY'
=>yes you can use SQUID, I never used EXIM but i am sure
=>you can sendmail can do it.

Thanks I did figure out how to deploy squid and it works like a charm.
I know it is possible to use sendmail, which you can fire from ppp.linkup
but I cannot remember the command syntax and that is what I am now looking
for.
I vaguely remember that it was something like
/usr/libexec/sendmail/sendmail -bd -q30 & or something like that.
If this is possible then I am sure I can start EXIM with the same args and
achieve the same thing since they are both smtpds.
I only need someone to point me to where this info can be found,
especially the config for running a service via ppp.linkup once Ive fired
ppp from rc.conf

Thanks again.

=>
=>Odhiambo Washington wrote:
=>
=>> Dear Sir,
=>> I am writing to say that today I configured FreeBSD to act as a dialup
=>> gateway for a small network of 20 computers.
=>> Since this is not a very small number I was wondering whether you can
=>> advice me on TWO things:
=>>
=>> 1. Being a dialup connection (leased line -33600 bps link) I think it will
=>> be rather a slow one. Is it possible to run a proxy server like SQUID to
=>> help those who will be surfing the net?
=>>
=>> 2. Is it practical to run a mail server (I prefer EXIM) in this kind of
=>> setup. If so I'll be very grateful if you can advise me on how to go about
=>> it.
=>> I am looking at using a totally FreeBSD solution since this is a setup for
=>> a small community college that I am nobly supporting. I would like them to
=>> be able to send and receive e-mail both internally and to the Internet.
=>> Can I do this with EXIM via a dialup?
=>>
=>> Thank you in advance for the help.
=>>
=>> -Wash
=>>
=>> --
=>> Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
=>> wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza
=>> Tel: 254 11 222604   Nkrumah Rd.,
=>> Fax: 254 11 222636   PO Box 83613 MOMBASA, KE.
=>>
=>> Ignorance must certainly be bliss or there wouldn't be so many people so
=>> resolutely pursuing it.
=>>
=>> To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
=>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
=>
=>--
=>     ___
=>    /\  \ Freedom is the right to grow, is the right to blossom,
=>   /::\  \
=>  /:/\:\  \ Comments or Questions email spikeman@myself.com
=> _\:\~\:\  \
=>/\ \:\ \:\__\      Spikeman     spikeman@myself.com
=>\:\ \:\ \/__/        http://www.spikeman.net
=> \:\ \:\__\        Find Me On EFNET /whois Spikeman
=>  \:\/:/  /
=>   \::/  / Freedom is the right to be yourself, to be who you
=>    \/__/ are, to be who you wanna be, to do what you wanna do.
=>
=>

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke 5th Flr Furaha Plaza
Tel: 254 11 222604 Nkrumah Rd.,
Fax: 254 11 222636 PO Box 83613 MOMBASA, KE.

If you have an important point to make, don't try to be subtle or clever. Use
a pile driver. Hit the point once. Then come back and hit it again. Then hit
it a third time - a tremendous whack. -Winston Churchill