Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 13:19:28 -0800
From:      Richard Krush <richard_k@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to disable console messages being printed on the console?

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8

On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 06:32:56PM +0100, rene@xs4all.nl wrote:
> hi :) Happy New Year, everyone ;-)
>=20
> Quick dumb question: How can I turn off printing of console messages on
> the console? I prefer to check /var/log/messages every once in a while...
>=20

You will need to edit the file called /etc/syslog.conf and replace every
"/dev/console" with "/var/log/messages". Then once you edited the file, you
will need to restart syslogd ('killall syslogd' should do it). I would
recommend reading the manpage(s) for syslogd and syslog.conf before doing
anything, though.

> Eventually I'll want something that automagically mails me the entries in
> /var/log/messages, but for now I just want printing them on the console
> screen turned off.
>=20

This can be done by editing /etc/syslog.conf as well. I'm not sure how to
do it (and I don't want to read the manpage for you), but IIRC it is
something like:

security.*  |exec /usr/bin/mail yourlogin

Again, you should check the manpage for syslog.conf before doing it.

--=20
| Richard Krushelnitskiy  | "A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room |
| ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  |  looking for a black cat which isn't there."   |
| richard_k@gmx.net       |                -- Charles Darwin               |

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8

--JP+T4n/bALQSJXh8--