Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 11:06:46 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Seth Leigh <seth@pengar.com>, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: possible problem with SMP?

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 12:03:39AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> I have looked at the [Doors] mechanism.  I think you will find that
> they are a Solaris 2.7 introduction, but am willing to be wrong.

Stevens says Doors were introduced in Solaris 2.5, and first
documented in Solaris 2.6.

> Doors are interesting.  The thing they most resemble is a VMS
> asynchronous system trap, or an NT I/O completion routine.

Funny, to me it just looks like an efficient RPC mechanism that
happens to do some thread management for you.

> Fundamentally, this means I cross U->K to set things in motion,
> then K->U, back to my program, once I have started rolling.
> Later, after the ball gets to the bottom of the hill, the kernel
> triggers a door, which runs K->U, causes some code to run, and
> then jumps bad U->K, when it's done.

Oh, I guess I see what you mean.  With the typical socket IPC,
there are more transitions (select and then read arguments/write results).

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org