Date:      Sat, 3 Mar 2001 09:00:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Peter Baitz <peterb@themonetgroup.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD issues at iServer!!!

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday,  1 March 2001 at  8:29:30 -0500, Jim Freeze wrote:
> > I haven't noticed degredation in performance since the move. All
> > downtimes are promptly reported and customer service (except for an
> > occasional support dweeb) is very good.
> >
> > My current server has an uptime of 19 days. Not spectacular, but it
> > just recently got a diskspace upgrade.
>
> So what's your long-term assessment of their equipment?

The facilities that I toured were in the Orem Data Center. They had
created custom racks to hold the hardware. The racks were ~4-5u and were
configured with 3 extra large fans to keep the equipment cool. SCSI drives
and intel chips were used.

That is the extent of the detail that I know. That was almost two years
ago that I last saw the equipment.

What is my long-term assessment of their equipment? My opinion is it looks
like they have taken measures to provide a stable system. More so that
just buying some companies rackmount server. At the time I think they went
with custom equipment because they were not happy with what they could
obtain commercially.

What is my long-term assessment of their ability to provide a stable
webhost? To me it seems that 50% is hardware and 50% is system
configuration. I have never worried about the hardware. I have never had a
machine go down. However, I have used other hosting companies that have
gone down due to mismanagement..ie the sysop messes something up and
you are at their mercy until they fix it. EG, I have one account
(FreeBSD but not iServer) where the sysop accidently disabled my email
and since this was not a virtual root system like iServer I was not
able to fix it myself and had to get creative to contact him.

iServer seems to have a professional support staff. It is operated 24/7
and that helps when I suggest it to others as a webhost.

FWIW
Cheers

Jim Freeze
jim@freeze.org