Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2001 16:19:25 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, tech@squid.tznet.com
Subject:   Re: SUN TO BSD

Marc W wrote:

>     It actually shouldn't be that hard to write a script to convert all
> the information-- except for the passwords themselves -- The encrypted
> version of a password that I have same across my Solaris 8 and FreeBSD
> 4.2 machines aren't the same.
>
>     No idea how you'd convert those ... :(

I believe this has to do with the system default password encryption
scheme. If both your Solaris & FreeBSD boxes are using the same
encryption scheme you should see the same encryped password. I've seen
informatin on how to change this, but I don't exactly remember how. I
think this is probably important to making NIS work anyway, since
exported password lists won't work unless the NIS client & NIS server
are using the same encryption scheme. (feel free to correct me if I'm
wrong).

-Bill