Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 12:24:43 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@cec.wustl.edu>
Cc:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, System Administrator <postmaster@instrumar.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UPS

Andrew Hesford (ajh3@cec.wustl.edu) wrote:

> I think the question he meant to ask is whether or not FreeBSD will
> detect powerfail event signals from a UPS via a serial port, and
> automatically begin a shutdown. I know linux can handle this, by
> specifying options in /etc/inittab, but FreeBSD doesn't have that. :)
>
> Actually, I'd like to know if it's possible, too, even though I never
> plan on owning a UPS.

How about these:

/usr/ports/sysutils/upds

 upsd is a daemon with flexible configuration which lets you to
 shutdown your system properly when source power line fails and
 measure its frequency, voltage etc

/usr/ports/sysutils/bkpupsd

 This is a simple uninterruptible power source (UPS) daemon which
 supports APC Back-UPS Pro(TM) series.  The UPSd works as UPS driver,
 sensing line-failures, shutting down the system cleanly, and finally
 shutting down the UPS itself.  This UPSd provides only the "dumb mode",
 and the advanced features are not supported.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com