Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:54:07 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        wsimpson Last Name <wsimpson@my-deja.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disable console mouse

Actually, I've done this myself. I wasn't having performance troubles,
but the FreeBSD kernel only supports basic PS/2 mice, and I wanted the
fancy buttons to work. If you want featureful mice on the console, they
need to use a serial port. :( If you ask me, the proper place for a
mouse is on its own, dedicated bus, not a serial line.

If you don't want to reboot, just `killall moused`. To stop it from
moused_enable="NO" in there, go to /etc/rc.conf and remove the line that
says moused_enable="YES". If /etc/defaults/rc.conf says
moused_enable="YES", add a line to /etc/rc.conf that says
moused_enable="NO" (removing any other moused_enable line).

I'm sorry, I'm too lazy to check /etc/defaults/rc.conf to see what the
default setting is, so you're on your own. :)

Don't forget to reconfigure the xserver so it doesn't use sysmouse, or
you won't have a working pointer in X.

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 08:45:36AM -0800, wsimpson Last Name wrote:
> I find that my mouse is terribly sluggish under X. For example, I
> have to hold the mouse button down a full second on an object I want
> to drag (else it isn't dragged). I put this down to
> the fact that I have the console mouse working.
>
> I also find it a pain to have a mouse hanging around in the console.
>
> Could anyone please tell me how to disable the console mouse and
> still have the mouse work under X?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Bill
> PS nobody replied on backspace/delete... I set it up properly but it
> seems a real shame that 1000s of people each have to do this
> individually instead of the FreeBSD team shipping a fixed distribution.

Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx