Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:05:42 -0500
From:      adriel <adriel@adriel.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA gone?

I suppose my frustration comes from changing something that worked
perfectly for no good reason, what exactly was wrong with compiling that
flag in the kernel, and why was it deemed "obsolete".  I understand how
to do it now, but my point remains, why was I forced to change, what
advantage did I receive from this? I am not running -CURRENT.

the main problem in my situation is that I have a DMA hd sharing an IDE
cdrom, if you dont enable the ATAPI_DMA then it wont allow dma on the
hard drive either.  Maybe there is a good reason for this, but I still
do not understand why something that was not breaking the system would
be arbitrarily removed without any warning.  The only POSSIBLE advantage
I could have seen with moving this to be sysctl only is that you could
change it without rebooting, and even that is not the case.

Quoting Alfred Perlstein (bright@wintelcom.net):
> * adriel <adriel@adriel.net> [010410 13:34] wrote:
> >      hw.ata.atapi_dma
> >      set to 1 for DMA access 0 for PIO (default is PIO).
> >
> > root@misty:~# sysctl -w hw.ata.atapi_dma=1
> > sysctl: oid 'hw.ata.atapi_dma' is read only
> >
> > what the hell?  I need this, my drive takes forever to mount without it
> > it scrolls tons of errors before finally timing out and using pio.
>
> "what the hell?" ?
>
> didn't you read that Bruce told you?
>
> > Quoting Bruce A. Mah (bmah@FreeBSD.ORG):
> > >
> > > And it's also mentioned in RELNOTES.TXT:
> > >
> > > # To provide more flexible configuration, the various options for the
> > > # ata(4) driver are now boot loader tunables, rather than kernel
> > > # configure-time options.
>
> You must set it from the loader.
>
> --
> -Alfred Perlstein - [bright@wintelcom.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
> Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
> start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.

Adriel Ickler
Network Administrator   -  adriel@jlms.com
Self Trading Securities -  Voice:       512-263-2769
www.selftrading.com     -  Fax:         512-263-2141