Date:      14 Apr 2001 17:20:13 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: chowning mountpoints and devices

jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org (j mckitrick) writes:

> I am trying to set things up so I do not have to be root to mount my zip
> drive and floppy.
>
> I use sysctl vfs.usermount=1
>
> but every time I chown the mountpoint and the device, I have to do it again
> next  time a reboot.  Obviously, I can do this in a startup script, but is
> there a better way?

I don't know why you're seeing the permissions change just from a
reboot (I don't), but for sharing a machine between different console
users, either fbtab(5) or GiveConsole (depending on whether it's a
virtual console or X login) can be useful.

For my own system, where I need these things only rarely, I use
"sudo mount /cdrom", which doesn't quite match the request, but at
least doesn't leave root shells around afterwards.

Generally, though, I recommend mtools.  Most people use msdos
filesystems on floppies and Zip drives anyway, so using DOS
syntax is fairly natural.