Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:34:15 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More FUD from Perens

David Schwartz said on Jun 15, 2001 at 02:19:31:

> > Examples of the GPL sabotaging standards?
>
> 	It's not rocket science. Someone develops a standard and GPL's an
> implementation of it. Someone developing a proprietary product now has two
> choices, start from scratch on an implementation of the standard or start
> from scratch on an implementation that is the easiest possible to work into
> his product with just the functionality he absolutely needs.
>
> 	Which do you think the choice is going to be?

Sorry, he said "sabotaging standards" which implies (to me, at least)
sabotaging an *existing* standard, not a standard your own program is
attempting to establish.

To establish a new standard, I fully agree that the BSD license is the
best way to go.  And I disagree with Peren's view there (on things
like kerberos).  My problem was with Brett's claim that the GPL
"sabotages" standards.

Again, can you give an actual example of a standard which was
"sabotaged" by the GPL?  There are of course several standards (html,
notably) which were sabotaged by commercial companies; GPL'd programs
tend to be much better at implementing such things correctly.  For a
html editor, for instance, bluefish (GPL) is one of the best I've
found, and for a web browser the best options seem to be mozilla (not
GPL, but in effect closer to GPL than BSD) and konqueror (GPL).

I've read that the C99 standard is well on its way to being fully
implemented in gcc, while people like Microsoft have no plan of
implementing it at all.

- Rahul.